Wednesday 4 February 2015

The Photo Gallery 216: Cold

The prompt for this week's Gallery over at Tara's Sticky Fingers blog?  'Cold'.

*Rubs hands together*

Living in Moscow, I do have some experience on this subject.  When we arrived here in January 2010 the city experienced it's coldest spell for 10 years or more; within a week the temperature dropped to below -20degC and stayed there for some weeks.  (I would like to point out that at this stage we had no car, and I was walking the kids to school.  It wasn't far - about 15 minutes with a 6 year old trudging across the ice and a 4 year old being towed on sledge - but thank god the school had a cafeteria where Boy #2 and I could warm up before repeating the journey in reverse...)

But I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea; we actually love the Russian winters.  As long as you're dressed for it, they can be wonderful.  The sky is - usually - clear, the sun is shining, there are tiny particles of ice floating through the air as if you're surrounded by glitter. You can cross country ski, skate, build snow men (as long as it's not too cold - if the snow is too dry it just doesn't stick together, and that happens around -10degC and lower) and there's no shame after you've done all that in huddling up with hot chocolate, pizza and a movie.

The only problem with this week's Gallery is that I have too many pictures to show you, so bearing in mind I have no doubt there will be lots of gorgeous images on show I've not focused on 'beauty', but more on illustrating what 'cold' actually means...

Our indoor weather station on February 13th 2012.  It HAS been colder here - but this was the only time I thought of taking a photograph.



Snow flakes that have perfectly kept their shape because it's so cold (February 2010)


And our local canal, mid-November 2014.  Yes. I said November...







Sticky Fingers Photo Gallery

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, that's seriously cold! We saw the perfect little snowflakes in Finnish Lapland a couple of years ago. I was fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love the snowflakes detail! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise Fairweather4 February 2015 at 20:20

    I love the snowflakes picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the snowflake picture. xx #thegallery

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the snowflakes, too, but I can't get past that -30degC....It got down to around -15 a few times in Seoul, but that was brutal enough for me. You're going to feel like you're in the tropics when you move back to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TBH Ms C, it doesn't get down that low very often. I doubt it will at all, this winter - the coldest we've managed during waking hours so far this year was about -16dgC. As you say, tropical...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...